Another Vet Visit

Addie with her favorite toy

Addie with her favorite toy

On March 5th, Addie had a nice sized growth removed.  She was doing pretty well recovering, but somehow the night of March 9th she proceeded to pull all 5 of her stitches out!  I didn’t hear her get up in the night, and she was wearing her shirt, but somehow she managed. Of course March 10th was a Sunday, so no Dr. appointment that day!

The wound wasn’t bleeding, but we felt we needed to keep a gauze pad on it anyways.  With it being high on her back leg, it was near impossible to wrap it.  We tried 15 times without success.  In the end, duct tape worked!  I know.. not a great visual, but it kept the pad on for the day!

Since we needed to take her in to the vet on Monday, we also decided to try another shot of Legend to see if this one would help whereas the last one did not.

At the appointment, Dr. Mario said that her incision was healing nicely and he did not need to re-stitch the wound.  Yeah!  He then proceeded with the additional dose of Legend.

I am happy to report that the wound is almost entirely healed now.  Not sure how that happened as Addie tends to take forever to heal from things, but it looks great now.  AND she has been walking MUCH better the past several days.  She is excited to go on her walks in the morning and wants to go longer than normal.

Also, I am not sure if I had mentioned earlier, but she had a skin condition she was fighting as well, and that is 85% corrected.  We still are giving her medicated baths every 2-3 days and I suspect within the week she should be good to go.  Good news all around today!

We never know what each day will bring for Addie, but we just take one thing at a time and do the best we can.  Her quality of life is still good, so what more can we ask for?

External Growth

Addie has acquired many lumps over the years, with most being under her skin.  However, she has had 2 external.  The first has remained small for many years and all the vets have agreed that it is nothing to worry about.  The 2nd one though has grown recently and become a problem.  It hasn’t been excessively rapid growth, but it is to the point where it has started to bleed and we cannot seem to get it to heal.

With that, we decided to take her to the vet to have him look at it closer.  Our main concern for not taking her previously was that we did not want her to be put under to have it removed as anesthesia at her age is just not a great idea unless it is absolutely crucial.

Addie sporting her new T-shirt to help keep her from licking her stitches

Addie sporting her new T-shirt to help keep her from licking her stitches

But this is how things go in Costa Rica:  the vet just asked us to drop by sometime that day between 1 and 5pm.  We arrived at 3:30 and waited for 2 other patients before us and were in to see the vet by 4.  He agreed that it should be removed and he could do it with just a local anesthesia so that it would numb the area, but she would still be awake.  Awesome.  When can we schedule an appointment?  Oh, now is fine.  So we get her up on the table, we assist in the surgery by just helping to hold her while he numbs the area.  We are also watching the entire removal process.  He stitches her up, and she is good to go in about 1 hour from when we walked in.  Wow.  The cost?  $20.  Crazy nice hu?!

Nasty looking growth on her back leg.  She is on the operating table here.

Nasty looking growth on her back leg. She is on the operating table here.

So, there is a chance it will grow back (as with most external growths), but she can now lay on that leg without fear of it breaking open again.  He also visually analyzed the part he removed and there did not seem to be an infection and it did not appear to be cancerous.

She is still favoring that leg today, but she is up and moving and a little lighter.

On a not so bright note:  she is having greater issues walking in general.  We are going to try the shot of Legend again although it has only been a month or so and we hope this time it takes better than last.  If not, we are running out of options…